Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Rid of My "Fat" Pants

For most people getting rid of their "fat" pants would be a day of celebration.  For me, it is a slight cause for anxiety.  

I was never what most of America would call "fat" or even overweight so I know that a post like this may be annoying to some of you who read this and know me in real life.  To me, though, being "fat" is subjective and even though the scale might not have made a couple of circles when I stepped on it, in my mind, I needed to go to the local zoo to get weighed.  I realize that I am being hard on myself as all of my weight came from having 2 babies in a 2 year time span but, let's face it, my "baby" is now 3 years old and I can only hold on to that excuse for so long.

I haven't been able to wear my "good" pants for quite a few months now but I have just kept them in my closet.  Holding on to them for some strange reason.  Deep down, I know that I've kept them because I have been afraid of putting the weight back on.  Even though, as I said earlier, the majority of my weight came from being pregnant and it makes no sense that I would ever have to wear them again, they almost became a safety net for me.  Almost whispering 

"You'd better save those.  What if you gain back your weight?  You spent a lot of money on these pants and now you want to get rid of them?"  

So today is the day.  Today is the day that I say good-bye to those pants and to all of the voices in my head saying that I won't get to where I want to be.  

Over the past few months, I have really focused not on the "number" showing on the scale but just on being healthy.  The miraculous thing about this is as soon as I changed my way of thinking about losing weight, I actually started losing and have kept it off.  I feel like I am finally in a place where I don't need to hold on to safety nets or think about what if's.  As I've known all along, I am in charge of my health and I have no doubt that I won't ever be needing these again.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is great and I think you have a perfect outlook! Once I get to a certain 10-pound spread, I'll care more about the look/feel rather than the number, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throw out those fat pants, Skinny Minnie! Cross fit has been doing a body good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! I have some of those fat pants too. For the same reasons--the fear. I will eventually get rid of mine too! =)
    You look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete