Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Recipe: Grilled Pizzas

I made these last night and they were fantastic.  Thought I'd share.

While I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, the thought of grilled pizza came to mind.  I knew right away that just one pizza would not feed all of us nor would it satisfy what we all like on our pizzas so I decided to make 3:
Grilled Veggie Pizza (for me)
Pepperoni Pizza (for Scott)
Three-Cheese Pizza (for the kids)
Even though these are pictures of my particular pizzas, you could switch them up and make every type of pizza in the world. 
By the way, a huge thanks to Meg for introducing me to these easy little pizza dough kits!!
Grilled Pizzas
Pizza dough kit
1/2 cup hot water
Toppings of your choice
Directions:  Preheat to low and CLEAN grill.  Mix pizza dough according to the directions.  Roll out or shape into a good-sized pizza.  Put dough on grill for 6-8 minutes or until you get good grill marks.  Turn pizza over, add toppings, and grill for another 6-8 minutes.  Cut and serve.
Here's what you'll need for Grilled Veggie Pizza (or other veggies)
Pepperoni Pizza
Three-Cheese Pizza
For the Veggie Pizza I did not use any pizza/marinara sauce but brushed olive oil and garlic on the dough.
Use a garlic press to press out 2 garlic cloves into some olive oil.  If you do not have a garlic press, chop up the cloves and then smash them up a bit.
Make the dough according to the package directions.  This particular brand just called for 1/2 cup of hot water.
Cover with a lid for a couple of minutes to let it rise a bit.
Roll out and shape.
You can do this for all of the pizzas.  Brush on the olive oil and garlic.
Put your chosen veggies on the grill.
Put the pizzas on the grill.  If you are using olive oil/garlic, put the side you just brushed faced-down.
When they have cooked for 6-8 minutes, turn them over and put your toppings on while the bottom side is grilling.  (Also, brush on the other side with olive oil/garlic.
Here's what you'll end up with:
Grilled Veggie Pizza
Three-Cheese Pizza
Pepperoni Pizza
Here is a closer look of the pizza crust that I used.  There are others available (even a gluten-free one).
Our Thoughts:
Bottom line . . . these were FANTASTIC!  The crust was warm and crunchy.  The smoke from the grill seeped into the cheese, pepperoni and vegetables and really added to the flavor.
I did have a couple of issues that kind of stressed me out a bit.
  1. It was a little difficult preparing the 3 different types of pizzas and have them all get finished at the same time so that we could sit down and eat together.  This really came into effect after the first side of the pizzas had cooked and I flipped them.  I then had to pull the grilled veggies off quickly (they were HOT), cut them up and put them on that pizza.  Then, add pizza sauce and cheese to both pizzas and top the third with the pepperoni.  A couple of the edges got darker than what I would have liked (and I made a huge mess both inside/outside) but it was worth it.
  2. I should have put the feta cheese down before I put the grilled veggies on so that it would act kind of like a glue holding the veggies to the crust.  Instead I did the veggies then cheese so when I picked it up to eat, all of the veggies fell off.  It didn't matter, though, I just picked up a fork and ate it anyway!
  The kids absolutely loved this which is always a plus.  Gracie at 3 pieces!!!  I will definitely make this over and over again.  Scott already told me he wants Canadian Bacon and grilled pineapple next.
Hope you enjoy!
April
Fantastic-5*****

1 comment:

  1. Colorful recipes . superb posting for food and great your idea . really watering in my mouth and its very Tasty recipes

    ReplyDelete