Monday, November 14, 2011

Happy 8th Birthday, Kanin!

8 years ago today, this tiny 6lb 1oz, 19" little boy entered into the world and my life has never been the same. 

Who couldn't fall in love with those tiny hands and kissable lips?  Kanin Joshua Riley, you were so small that I had to roll up the sleeves on the preemie outfits you wore.  I can still feel and smell this little outfit and how soft it was with you snuggled up next to me. 

8 years ago I couldn't see this far into the future to imagine what you would look like or what your personality would be. 

You are smart, inquisitive, stubborn, athletic, dramatic, strong-willed, helpful, sweet, rambunctious, and independent all rolled in to one package.

  You like to make your own decisions and to figure things out on your own.  You like to get attention, in your own shy way, and every once in a while I see little signs of that baby I held so long ago.  Those are the moments that I cherish.

Laying in bed holding hands.
Listening to what happened at school.
The goodnight kisses each night.


I know you will change even more in the next 8 years.  I am sad that my little tiny baby is becoming a distant memory but I am excited to see the kind of person that you will become. 

Happy Birthday to my Sunshine!

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone


2 comments: