Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jason Boland & The Stragglers

I first heard Jason Boland and the Stragglers about 7 1/2 years ago.  I immediately loved their sound and energy but when I heard the song "Proud Souls," I was hooked.  JB&S is what I would describe as an outlaw/Texas-swing/alternative country band.  Good description, huh?  They are huge on the Texas/Oklahoma circuit but, for whatever reason, have not really made it in Nashville or on the radio.

For the past several years, I have checked and re-checked their tour dates just hoping they would make it to St. Louis.  They have started playing in Kansas, Western Missouri, and even Illinois but FINALLY, they were in St. Louis last night.

The tickets were only $14/door and at max capacity the venue could hold maybe 200 people.  PERFECT!

The band American Aquarium from Raleigh, North Carolina opened for JB&S.  I had never heard of them but they definitely had a few fans out in the crowd that knew their songs.  While listening and watching them on stage, they reminded me of a country version of the band "Lit".


Jason Boland and the Stragglers came on next and they were fantastic.  I was almost afraid to see them live because I loved their albums so much (particularly Live at Billy Bob's) and I really didn't want to be disappointed in their sound, voice, and stage presence.  I wasn't, though.  They sounded the same live as recorded, which is always a good thing.


Scott loved this fiddle player. 
He kept saying, "You're my boy, Blue" from Old Skool.

I got the set list from the night and bought his newest cd, Rancho Alto
Here's a pic of us:



2 comments:

  1. How fun! we love Jason Boland too...used to watch him play a lot when we were in college. Very cool! Looks like a fun night. Great pics of you...so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCKY YOU! I love Jason Boland! i had a roommate years ago that had gone to college in Oklahoma and introduced me to them, Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Great Divide and Pat Green. Love their sound.

    ReplyDelete