Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Goodbye, #7

Friday night was a sad night for the Westerhold family and a sad night for St. Louis.  Kanin's favorite player, my favorite player and Scott's current favorite player (nobody beats Al MacInnis in his book) decided to retire since the Blues did not make the playoffs.

Scott had to dj so I took Kanin down there.  They had a "Thanks for the Memories" sign that Kanin and I got to sign.


They announced Keith Tkachuk last and he got a 2-3 minute standing ovation.  Then, Charles Glen dedicated the National Anthem to #7.  At this point, I was already in tears.

I didn't take my good camera because I was afraid that cameras wouldn't be allowed and I didn't want to have to walk it all the way back to the car.  Of course, though, cameras were allowed so I had to end up taking pics with my phone.

Here are the last few seconds of the game.


After the game, Tkachuk brought his kids out on the ice and they all skated around and waved to the crowd.  His mom and dad came in from Boston and he acknowledged them.  He then proceeded to tell everyone how much he and his family loved St. Louis and that they were definitely staying in STL and making it their permanent home.


Ever since Kanin has been little, about 18 months old, he has always pretended to be Keith Tkachuk when playing hockey.  He can't really pronounce his name so it comes out "Keise Tachuk" and it is the cutest thing ever. 

I told Kanin that Tkachuk is now going to help out with his son's hockey team so maybe if he works hard enough maybe he will get to play for his team someday.  Who knows?  It could happen.

2 comments: