Friday, September 9, 2011

Jack Buck's 9/11 Speech

Over the next couple of days there are going to be lots of blog posts about 9/11.  Where you were, what you were doing, how it affected your life. 

I don't know if you have seen it or not but for the last week National Geographic has been running lots of specials on 9/11.  Interviews from President Bush, Mayor Guiliani, and first hand accounts of people who worked in the World Trade Centers.  Watching these specials has really brought back in me a lot of the anger, sadness, and feeling of helplessness that I felt those 10 years ago.

Where was I?  I was living in Lake Ozark preparing to go to Ft. Huachuca for Military Intelligence Officer Basic Training.  I had made a habit of going over to the high school and running their track.  I always listened to the talk radio when running and I was on that truck when the first tower was hit.  I really didn't think much about it at all except for that it was a horrible accident.  I finished my run and head on home.  I walked in, turned on the TV and a couple of minutes later I watched as the second plane crased into the second tower.  I knew right then that life as I had known it would never be the same.

Although devastated and helpless, life did go on.  We were all a little more cautious and maybe even a little guilty for living our lives but that was what we were encouraged to do and in that great American attitude, we did start to rebuild our lives.

For those not from St. Louis, the following video won't mean as much to you as it does to us but when Jack Buck stepped up to the microphone, our healing process began.  

 
At the time of this speech Jack was into his '70's, battling lung cancer and Parkinson's.  A WWII vet who was shot in the arm in Germany, he was a giver of kindness and master of words and he helped mend our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment