Friday, October 14, 2011

Fitness Friday-Already on Vacation and Recipes

Love to read about fitness, running, and healthy eating?  Join up with this wonderful blog hop:

I've got to be honest with everyone here, my mid has not been on working out this past week.  The St. Louis Cardinals are in a heated battle with the Milwaukee Brewers.  Kanin has started hockey and had his Fall Party, and we leave for our late honeymoon/anniversary trip on Tuesday.  I'm barely holding my head above water between driving down to the stadium, the hockey rink, school, shopping, packing, laundry, etc. etc.

The one thing I have been keeping up with, though, is my food.  I've actually eaten pretty "clean" this week and I've tried to do abs everyday (gotta look decent in my bathing suit, right?).

I'm so happy that I'm at a place where I'm not down on myself for slacking on the exercise part.  A year ago I would have been devastated and would have felt like "I've ruined everything".  Over the past few months, though, I've realized that life happens and to just move on.

I didn't take any pictures of this because both of these dishes were so easy but this week I've had grilled tomatoes and a spinach, bulgur salad as my entrees and they were delicious.  I've been trying to cut back on meat and dairy and with both of these dishes, I still left "full".

Grilled Tomatoes
1 large organic tomato, sliced into thick slices
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Preheat grill.  Grill each side of the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes.  Drizzle with 1 cap full of olive oil.  Salt & Pepper.  Enjoy.
(I also ate this with grilled zucchini and couscous)

Spinach and Bulgur Salad
Handful of spinach
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
2-3 Tbsp red onion
1 cap full of favorite Italian dressing.

Cook bulgur according to directions.  Put spinach and red onion in a bowl.  Drain bulgur and add to spinach.  Mix together.  Drizzle with Italian dressing.
(Of course, you can add tons of options to this-veggies, protein, cheese, etc.)

I loved that this spinach kind of wilted when I added the warm bulgur wheat.  It was great!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE tomatoes!! I've never had them like that so I'll be making some soon. I have had fried green tomatoes and love them!

    I've never tried bulgur wheat, but love spinach, so I'll try that one too!

    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing and are going to have a great anniversary trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letting go and moving on ... we can only do what we can do :)

    Hope you have a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love grilled tomatoes. Actually I pretty much love tomatoes no matter how they're prepared.

    WTG for not getting down on yourself. I'm getting better at that. Not perfect but getting better :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete