Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quit the Gym

I just quit the gym.  Yep, you read that right.  I just called them up and told them that I wanted to cancel my membership.  No, there was nothing they could have done differently.  I actually love my gym.  I love the convenience.  I love all of the locations.  I love the people who work there.  I love the free babysitting.  I loved the price. 

Why did I quit if I loved everything about it?

I haven't gone in over a month.  Between the horrible, freezing, snowy weather and the sickness that kept getting passed around, I could never get to the gym.  I normally go during the day so the kids can go to in to the babysitting and it doesn't mess around with our nighttime routine.  Because of everything, I just haven't been able to get there and, in the meantime, I have really focused on doing workouts at home.

I have tried workout videos before and never stuck with it but I can tell you that after 23 days of the Shred, I can see results.  I know that I am getting a great workout, I can do it when the kids are napping, and I don't have to load them up and drive anywhere.  I actually look forward to doing the workout everyday and I have already bought a new video, Shred with Weights, to start after these 30 days are over.  I think I'm going to do that for a bit and then move on to either Insanity or P90X.

  Other than working out with a trainer, and I don't have an extra $1200 laying around right now, I really wasn't getting anything out of going to the gym.  Yes, I ran a few miles but I wasn't pushing myself.  When I felt like being done, I was done.

I am also looking forward to running outside which would have taken even more time away from the gym.  So, for now, I have stopped by membership and put an extra $25 a month back into my account.  I will miss the random Saturday morning yoga classes but I figure I can always just pay cash for those if I want to go.  Other than that, I'm happy to see results at home and save some moolah!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were allowed to pay cash for classes... I thought you had to be a member at any gym to do that. I would LOVE to do a Saturday yoga class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I canceled my gym membership at the end of December. Same as you, I loved everything about it but with my work schedule and my kids I just wasn't able to make it there during the week no matter how badly I wanted to. I am also doing workouts at home and running outdoors. I am loving all the money I am NOT spending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're not going, then good move. Also, have you ever checked our exercisetv.tv??? It has free full length videos and it a great resource from time to time.
    Hope the weather starts getting a little better there for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well as you probably know, the Y is pretty much the only option in Sikeston and I socialize too much that I'd never get any exercise done. SO after our gym closed a couple years ago, we started just working out at home. I don't have kids, but the convenience is amazing. J complains that he needs weights (and he does) but I can handle the $500 expense a lot better than that of a gym membership! I say do whatever works for you and save that moolah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jealous that you are seeing results. :) I need exercise so bad! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete