Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is less than a week away and I could care less.  I am just not a Valentine's person. 
When I was in elementary school, of course, I loved Valentine's Day because it was fun to get little treats, have a party, and to read the Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, or He-Man sayings on the front.  I remember making these heart-shaped card holders out of construction paper and taping them to the front of our desks.  During the party, each kid got to go along and deposit their Valentine in everyone's heart envelope.  I would then come home and read every single Valentine over and over again.  I actually think that I still have a few in one of the boxes in the basement.
  
As I got older, though, I learned the meaning of a Valentine.  I don't know if I blame it on my teenage/college years where I didn't have a Valentine or what but I just look at it as an incredibly shallow, silly holiday.  Looking back, how crazy is it that I handed out
"Be Mine" cards to little boys in 1st grade?  Be my what exactly?
Scott and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day.  We have never gone out to eat, never bought each other a card, never given or received a gift and I am so happy with that.  I have always told him that I would rather him do something really nice for me on a random Tuesday in May than on a day where he is expected to do it.  If it is a random act then I will know that he really means it.  Plus, I just think that we should be kind, loving, and sweet to those we love all of the time not just one day of the year.
Maybe I'm a scrooge.  But, I can't help it.  Kanin is getting ready for his Valentine exchange next Monday and my first thought was
"Ugh.  Now we have to buy silly cards with some treat.  Decorate a shoe box in all lovey-dovey, hearty stuff." 
Is that horrible?

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha, I can't stop laughing because my hubby and I don't really do v-day celebration either! kind of silly holiday, huh?! guess its cute for the kids though, our oldest has a v-day playdate saturday and I had to get cards/treats and then for school on tues, so I know its cute for the kiddos but the whole day is sort of cheesy! HA, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't do Valentine's Day either, but it's more because we just don't have the extra money to do gifts and such.

    ReplyDelete