Friday, January 14, 2011

Family Room Ideas

As part of my 101 in 1001, and just because I want to make my house into a home, I am determined to get this house in order!  A couple of weeks ago Holly from Homebody suggested that I post pics and ask for suggestions.  So, I am posting here along with some questions.


This is a picture of the large wall in our family room.  This house was a foreclosure so when the old people moved out they too all of the light fixture; thus, the very tiny light in here so I know that will be replaced.
   Questions:
      1. Should I paint this wall as an accent wall?  Is that out of date?
      2. I am thinking of painting the fireplace white.  Thoughts?
      3. I would love to have bookshelves installed on both sides.  Thoughts?
      4. Yes, that is Caleb's "pen" and we still need it for the time being.
      5. I am thinking of moving the couch/ottoman to the right of the picture up all most even with the fireplace; thus, creating more room behind the couch.  I could then move the piano from the DINING ROOM into the family room.
 

Another look just a little farther back.

In this picture the large wall and fireplace is to the left.  We bought this furniture while living in another house.  I fell in love with it in that house but I hate it in this one but we just cannot buy new furniture right now.  This is the wall where I thought about moving the furniture up even or closer to the fireplace creating a place for the piano on this wall.  I DO have a picture of Caleb from when he is a newborn but it is still not up on the wall . . . he is 18 months old.  Come on!

This is the TV wall and the large fireplace wall is to the right.  Obviously, it needs curtains.  I want to take down that little white thing in the corner, too.  I think we are going to do a floating shelf for the DVD and Wii and then I want to take the back off of the table and use it.  Maybe add some baskets or something.

See that big round chair by the "pen".  I have no idea what to do with it.  No one sits in it because you can't see the TV, except at large family gatherings.  I don't really want it in my dining room so it is just there.  Thoughts?

These are my absolute favorite colors.  My wedding was in October just so I could have these fall colors.  So, should I paint all the family room walls in a totally neutral color and just throw in spots of these colors?  Should I paint the whole room one of these colors?  Should I just paint the fireplace wall one of these colors?

I love this $10 picture I got at Big Lots.  I love these colors and I love the picture.  These are the colors that I would like to decorate my whole house in or at least the bottom floor.

This is my downstairs bathroom and I actually love it.  I love the three little plaques that I got from Target (notice the colors) and I love the $8 star I got at a consignment shop.  The towel was $1 at Wal-Mart!

Recognize this color?  I also painted the back wall of Scott's office this same color.  


Then, if you take a look at the DINING ROOM pictures, you can see that my one wall is a burgundy. 

Any and all comments are welcome.  Any advice on furniture placement, paint, ideas on the fireplace (which we regularly use), anything is appreciated!!

Today I am participating in Weekend Wander:


3 comments:

  1. I love love those colors! I think a white fireplace with one of those colors would really pop!

    I like the furniture, maybe some rearranging would make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with sippy cup mom. she said what I was giong to suggest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your ideas! If you have an accent wall in the dining room then you might not want another. You have great colors to work with!

    ReplyDelete