Monday, December 13, 2010

I Quit the PTO

I am a horrible school parent. 
I want to be one of those moms that is involved in every, single activity at my son's school but I'm just not.

Putting aside all of the issues with Kanin's school, I still wanted to be an active parent that helps out where needed but I finally came to the realization that it is just TOO MUCH! 

TOO MUCH time away from the family. 

TOO MUCH planning to get a babysitter. 

TOO MUCH bickering over talking down from parents who have been on the PTO for years and think that a new parent should have no opinion.

I was guilted into taking on the position of "Parade Coordinator" last year.  I kept telling them that I had no idea what they were talking about since Kanin was in kindergarten.  I didn't know the school even had a parade.  They handed me a gigantic three ring binder and told me that I'd figure it out.  Here I was last year with my sweet baby Caleb only 6 months old in a sling, my 3-year-old Sassy Pants in tow while I ran all over the school trying to count out 1400 pom poms, coordinate with the local police department and get all of the classes lined up for an end of the year parade.  I was sweating profusely from the hormones, the humidity, carrying the baby in the sling and then walking the 1 1/2 miles of the parade.  Plus, I still wanted to see my OWN son walking in it so I was trying to take pictures.  Then, naturally, it started pouring down rain.  Here I have the baby and my camera in this semi-hurricane weather . . . Ugh!

This year I have only been able to make it to one meeting because they are always on the nights that Scott works late.  I could get my parents or my in-laws to watch them but since the meetings start at 5:30 and everyone works and that is right at traffic and that is right at dinner time, it is just TOO MUCH effort.

I keep telling myself that I will get more involved when the kids are in school.  I guess maybe these ladies have all forgotten what it is like to have little bitty ones at home.  Most of their children are in 4th and 5th grades and are self-sufficient.

Anyway, I refuse to have Mommy guilt over this.  I feel like I am making it more of a stress-free environment and anything that takes some stress out of my life is worth it.


7 comments:

  1. Don't feel guilty! That all sounds like way too much and unreasonable of them! I know I am going to want to be involved when my son gets in school but I'm scared! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO girl! I haven't gotten to that part...where my kids are in school. I hope that I have the guts to do what you did!!!

    Following you via Follow Me, Chickadee! from lil-LIZ-bits, lil-bits from my Homeschooling Navy Wife Life Mom-prenuer adventures. Love to see you on Facebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids haven't started school yet, but I really want to be involved too. Not sure how I will handle it either. But I agree don't feel guilty, you have a lot on your plate right now! Just help when you can and I think that is plenty enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, April! I think you're doing a great job by taking care of your kids first! You are such a great mom! There's gonna be plenty of time to get involved with school and such later on. So don't even think of feeling guilty over this:) I am now following you thanks to Follow Me Chickadee Tuesday and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    Oh and don't forget to stop by today and check out our easy steps to become a successful blog! See you there! Happy Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the exact same attitude when it comes to school and church events!!! At church, I feel pressure, mostly from individuals that are VERY involved and busy with church BUT their children are grown, soooo I said that when both my kiddos are in school, I will devote more time...i hate feeling guilty!! ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you!!! I'm blog hopping and found your blog! I'm a new follower. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a new follower from the Follow Me Chickadee Tuesday Blog Hop.
    Hope you follow back.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete