Monday, December 6, 2010

Jillian Michaels and Kiddos Just Don't Mix

This morning while drinking my morning coffee and perusing all of the blogs on the Magical Monday blog hop



 
I decided that I would do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.
 


It was the perfect opportunity . . . Scott was at work, Kanin was at school, Gracie was watching Dora and Caleb was sleeping.  I mean it only takes 20 minutes so I could get upstairs and pop that DVD in and have it over with before the next episode of Diego came on. 

Shouldn't be that difficult, right?  Yeah, well, here's how it went down:

-I walked upstairs to change out of my pajama bottoms and into some shorts.  I thought "I'd better put on a sports bra, too" but decided to go ahead and leave my "wife-beater" night shirt on.  (I know, I HATE that term, too, but I don't know what else to call it.)

-Put the the DVD in the player except for I can't find the DVD.  I search all over the room, the playroom, Kanin's room, the family room and nothing.  "Fine, I guess I will call Scott and ask him if he has seen it".  Finally, found it in a dresser drawer. (Can you tell I use this video ALL of the time?)

-Turn the DVD on.  "Success!"  Can't find the remote to the DVD player so I am not able to switch off of the Introductions part of the DVD to the actual Workout part of the DVD.

-Search for the remote.  Look under the bed, under the dresser (I REALLY need to vaccuum under there), in the toy boxes.  Finally, find it behind the TV in the playroom.

-Click on the Workout section.  Now I am cooking, my arms are warming up, my legs are warming up and then I hear "Ma, Ma".  "Oh No, now Caleb is awake".  Pause the DVD.  Run downstairs and get him out of the playpen where he has been sleeping and bring him up to the toy room.  "It should be ok.  He can play with Gracie and stay occupied while I get this little workout in."

-Unpause the DVD.  The phone rings.  Pause the DVD.  Talk to her for a couple of minutes.

-Hit play.  She starts out with jumping jacks.  "Clearly Jillian Michaels has NOT had 3 children or she would never attempt to do jumping jacks."  I modify the jumping jacks into basically just jumping.  Next, we move on to jump rope.  "This chick really likes to jump."  Finish the warm-up and then run to the bathroom before I have trickles running down my legs.

-Move on to Phase 1 of Level 1.  Here comes Caleb.  Of course I didn't bother putting on shoes and socks when I was getting ready so when I am down doing the push-ups, I have a little 17-month-old trying to tickle my feet.

-Move on to Phase 2.  Here comes the jumping jacks and jump rope again.  "Are you kidding me?"

-Hit pause. Another bathroom break.

-Hit play.  The telephone rings.  Hit pause. Walgreens wanted to inform me my pictures were ready to be picked up.

-On to Phase 3 and here comes by little wanderer again.  He has spotted the cup of water that I have sitting on the floor. 
  "No, No, " I tell him. 
  "Cheers," he says with his sippy cup. 
  "No, no cheers right now.  Gracie, can you get your brother, please?  Mommy's almost done." 
  "Not right now," she says.  "Thanks, for the help, sister."

I finally finished and plopped down on the couch.  My 20 minutes workout ended up taking me exactly 52 minutes. 

Now, I know why I go to the gym to do this stuff--the free babysitter!








6 comments:

  1. I love this workout for reals. It's hard at first, but the exercises get easier the more you do it. Plus I just love Jillian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Fab. I would have finished in 2 or more hours....I know! I suck...which is why i fail at every attempt i make....and i would have picked the pics up instead of finishing...lol...good for you! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that workout video!

    Funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracking up. I took a "stroller bootcamp" class when Amy was about 1. Really, you would think that one would know that jumping jacks and jumprope are just not possible after children, especially a class that was designed for moms! Really I am just glad that I am not the only one with this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this workout all the time. Your story is so real to me. I've had four kids and can't do jumping jacks either. I've tried and have peed my pants. Thanks Jillian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha you are brave for even trying!

    ReplyDelete